General Election – December 2019
A general election will take place on Thursday 12th December 2019. Voting will be open between 7am and 10pm.
Don’t miss out on your chance to vote in this really important election! You can find out where your polling station is here in Fenland or here in East Cambridgeshire. If you have a postal vote, your Electoral Office must receive it by 10pm on the 12th December – if it’s too late to post your vote back in time, you can take it to your local polling station instead.
There’s lots more helpful information about voting here. Read on below to find out more about Diane Boyd, our Labour candidate in North East Cambs!
The constituents [of NE Cambs] need an MP that they can all believe in. They deserve an MP who listens and understands the diverse needs of those who live in the constituency. Diane Boyd - North East Cambs Labour Parliamentary Candidate
Diane Boyd is Labour’s parliamentary candidate for North East Cambs.
Diane is a Barrister, specialising in Criminal Law and has worked in Peterborough and across Cambridgeshire for many years. She has been a member of the Labour Party since 2010 and has actively campaigned on issues including homelessness and closure of local services.
Speaking after the selection, Diane said:
“The constituents [of NE Cambs] need an MP that they can all believe in. They deserve an MP who listens and understands the diverse needs of those who live in the constituency. People here in North East Cambridgeshire need a representative that will put them first. I will work tirelessly between now and the election to let local people know this general election will be a choice between a Labour Party that will stand up for the many or a Conservative Party that only looks after the privileged few”.
“This Tory government has overseen the biggest cuts to our public services in a generation. The NHS and social care is in crisis, our schools are struggling under the weight of the budget cuts and cuts to police budgets are putting our safety at risk. I will champion collaborative working over the “divide and conquer” policies of the Tories. The Labour Party has a positive message to deliver, a message that will bring equality to the disadvantaged and prosperity to our forgotten towns; it will rebuild the United Kingdom for the Many and Not The Few.”
You can follow Diane’s campaign, as well as getting in touch with her, on her official campaign Facebook page here.
There are lots of ways you can help out with our campaign to get Diane elected as our MP in North East Cambs:
- Follow Diane and North East Cambs Labour on Facebook – like, comment on and share our posts, and ask any questions you have
- Chat to friends and family, in person or online, about the election. Make sure they are registered to vote and know how, and let them know why you think Diane will make a great MP for North East Cambs
- If you’d like to display a poster in your window, send us a message. You can do this on our Contact Us page, or on Facebook directly to Diane here.
- Likewise, if you have a spare hour or two and would like to help us with campaigning in the local area, let us know using the links above – everyone is welcome, and we’d be happy to let you know more details if you have any questions or aren’t sure!
- Donations are also extremely helpful during election time. The Tories have lots of big billionaire donors but Labour mostly relies on smaller donations – every donation brings us a step closer to winning the election. If you are able to chip in a little, be it £1, £3, £8 or whatever you feel you can donate, it would be incredibly helpful. You can donate to North East Cambs Labour here or by clicking the Donate button at the top of this site.
We need a Labour government that will choose the people over the powerful – no more giveaways to the super-rich while the rest of us face less money in our pockets and cuts to our NHS, schools, police and all the services we rely on. Jeremy Corbyn - Leader of the Labour Party
The topic on everyone’s mind right now is Brexit, but this election is important for so many other issues too! The MP elected will represent North East Cambridgeshire for up to five years. Labour wants to see a better, fairer Britain, which works for the many, not just a privileged few! Our plan includes:
- Creating hundreds of thousands of good jobs with a Green Industrial Revolution, which will focus on clean energy and better/more public transport countrywide..
- Rebuilding our public services after almost a decade of Tory cuts, and giving our NHS, schools and police the money they need. We will tax the very richest, making sure they pay their fair share, to properly fund services for everyone.
- Protecting the environment for all of us and future generations
- Providing secure homes
- Getting Brexit sorted by giving the people the final say We are determined to bring a divided country together and move on from Brexit.
You can find out more about where Labour stands on lots of different issues here.